VANCOUVER, website like this B.C. August 29, doctor 2013. FRP Transmission Innovations Inc., adiposity in collaboration with BC Hydro, is excited to set a new environmental standard for high voltage infrastructure with the installation of a fiber reinforced polymer H-frame structure built for transmission lines.
This installation represents a number of important firsts:
- The first polyurethane cross arm for high voltage lines does not release any substances into the environment.
- The first fiber reinforced polymer H-frame transmission structure in Canada.
- The first FRP composite cross arm in the world developed in British Columbia.
- The first collaborative effort between BC Hydro Asset Management and FRP Transmission Innovations Inc. in developing, testing, and implementing FRP composite transmission structures on an industrial scale.
Installation of the FRP H-frame is a milestone for environmentally sustainable solutions required to meet the growing energy needs of the world as well as environmental concerns; its inert nature makes it safe for fish habitats, areas near the drinking water supply, and other environmentally sensitive locations. Product durability creates cost savings for utilities.
In contrast, existing infrastructure uses materials that can pose environmental risks, including:
- Treated lumber, which releases chemicals into the environment from treatments needed to prevent rot and decay of the structure;
- Steel, which releases zinc and then corrodes, releasing rust.
The installation of the FRP H-frame transmission structure took place in South East B.C. and is expected to help create long-standing jobs in British Columbia and establish the province as a technological leader in the fiber reinforced polymer composite structure area for the electrical utility industry.
Grant Lockhart, CEO of Transmission Innovations, said, “We are excited to provide this new innovative solution for the electrical utility industry addressing many items in their concern. The collaboration between FRP Transmission Innovations and BC Hydro provided winning solutions for both parties, the ratepayers, for the environment, and for the public. We are looking forward to expanding our activity in this field delivering benefits for all.”
About FRP Transmission Innovations Inc.:
Transmission Innovations is a Vancouver, B.C.-owned company that manufactures a comprehensive line of FRP cross arms, cross bracings, and anchoring for high voltage distribution and transmission applications.
For further information:
Grant Lockhart, CEO, FRP Transmission Innovations Inc.
Email: [email protected]
Address: P.O. Box 38 – 20800 Lougheed Hwy., Maple Ridge BC, V2X 7E9, Canada